Who pays for Peachtree City car accident medical bills?


The party that is responsible for car accident medical bills depends on two factors: who was at fault for the crash, and what type of insurance you carry. The options you have for paying your medical bills depends on your circumstances.

You are At Fault or You Were the Victim of a Hit and Run

You will be responsible for your own medical bills if you were at fault for an accident or if you were injured in a hit and run. Most people pay them by using their own health insurance policy. You might also be able to use Med Pay, an extra coverage many drivers have on their auto policy. The health insurance will pay for some expenses while the Med Pay can pick up the deductible and special expenses not covered by your health insurance.

If The Other Driver Was at Fault

The other driver’s insurance company would be responsible for paying for your medical bills. However, it can take some time to settle your claim, so you might have to use your insurance in the interim. When your claim finalizes, and you get your check, your health insurance company will need to be reimbursed for the care you received from your accident injuries.

If the Other Driver was at Fault but He or She Doesn't Have Insurance or Doesn't Have Enough Insurance

You will have to use your Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage (UM/UIM) on your auto policy to pay for your bills. UM/UIM is an optional coverage in Georgia, so you may or may not carry it. If you’re unsure, speak to your insurance agent.

Need help after a car accident in Peachtree City?

If you still want more information on accidents, check out our free eBook, The Truth about Your Injury Case: Exposing Myths and Avoiding Mistakes. You’ll want to speak to an attorney to ensure you get appropriately compensated if you were involved in a car crash in Peachtree City and sustained life-changing injuries. For a free consultation, contact the office of Jason Schultz, P.C. today at 404-474-0804.