Being involved in a car accident is tough to deal with. But what do you do when the driver who hit you speeds off from the scene of the accident? How are you supposed to pay for your injuries and property damage? From where can you recover hit and run compensation?

A hit and run accident can be extremely frustrating, but Jason Schultz from the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. can help.

After a Hit and Run, Know What Your Recovery Options Are

Getting legal help after an accident can help you understand all of your financial recovery options. But first, try to make sense of your insurance policy to get an idea of what routes you can take to recover compensation for your losses.

The Other Driver

In some cases, officers are able to find the driver who fled the scene. If this occurs, you can file a claim or lawsuit against the driver to recover compensation.

While this would be an ideal scenario, often the reason drivers flee the scene of an accident is because they do not have the appropriate insurance coverage. Jason Schultz can advise you on whether this is the best course of action for your situation.

If this is your situation, you can use your own insurance policies.


One way to ensure that you have necessary coverage for medical expenses after an accident is to purchase medical payments (MedPay) coverage.

MedPay typically covers any hospital or other medical costs you incur after an accident, regardless of who was at fault.

It should also cover:

  • Medical expenses for any passengers who were in the vehicle with you.
  • Dental care you need as a result of the accident.
  • Funeral expenses you may need for a wrongful death caused by the accident.

Georgia law does not require MedPay coverage, but it can be big help getting you the money you need to cover costly medical bills after an accident.

It is important to note that this will only be effective if you bought it before your accident. Check your policy to see if you purchased it.

Collision Coverage

Having collision insurance coverage can help you get the money you need to afford expensive repairs to your vehicle after a car accident.

As with MedPay insurance, Georgia does not require collision coverage. However, expenses to your car can be much higher than you expect, and without the right coverage in place, you may not have the necessary funds to get your vehicle back in working order.

Uninsured Motorist Coverage

Approximately 10 percent of Georgia drivers did not carry insurance in 2012, according to the Insurance Research Council. While the State of Georgia requires all drivers to carry liability insurance, not all do. This is where your uninsured motorist (UM) coverage will come in handy.

If you are involved in an accident caused by a driver who either flees the scene or does not have the necessary coverage, having UM coverage will help you pay for medical expenses, lost wages, and pain and suffering caused to you or your loved ones.

In some cases, the at-fault driver may have coverage, but not enough to cover the costs of your expenses. In these cases, underinsured motorist (UIM) coverage can help you cover the remaining costs.

Health Insurance

You might also be able to use your health insurance to cover your medical bills. Some insurers will not let you use your health insurance until after you have exhausted all of your other options, so use this as a last resort compensation option.

Jason R. Schultz Can Help You Recover From A Hit And Run – Call Today

While most of these coverages are from your own insurance company, it might still be quite difficult to get the compensation you need. Even though your insurer should be on your side — after all, you pay it a monthly premium — it is a business and will therefore be protecting its best interests, not yours.

Do not let it bully you into accepting less than you deserve. The team at the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. will fight for you and get you what you paid for.

Call us to schedule a free consultation today: 404-474-0804.