What type of long-term care will my child need if he/she suffered a spinal cord injury in an accident?

The type of long-term care a child needs for a spinal cord injury (SCI) after an accident in Atlanta depends on the severity and location of the injury. A serious injury can result in a complete loss of function in all four limbs. For others, the loss of feeling and mobility affects only the lower half of the body.

Common Types of Long-Term Care Necessary for a Pediatric Spinal Cord Injury

One of the first steps after a child suffers an SCI in an accident is developing a customized treatment plan. It may include a variety of therapies and healthcare providers. The goal is to address the child's practical, emotional and medical needs.

Occupational and/or physical therapy is one example of long-term care for a spinal cord injury. Specialized care may address issues with bowel/bladder control caused by paralysis. A child might need continued care for respiratory problems, which for some might include use of a ventilator. Some may require in-home nursing care. And some children have psychological problems they may address through counseling or other types of mental healthcare.

Ongoing care of some type is almost always necessary for a spinal cord injury. The child's age, extent of damage and other factors will play an important role in determining how that plays out.

Seeking Help from an Attorney if Negligence Caused a Child's SCI

In any type of long-term care, families can expect sizable medical costs. The financial burden can take a toll on the whole family. But if the injury was the result of someone else’s negligence, a claim might address those expenses. An attorney can determine how liability could impact one's right to pursue compensation.

A catastrophic injury such as this might allow for recovery of other damages in a claim. Let's say a parent has to stop working to care full-time for his/her child. A claim might address those lost earnings. An attorney can consider other potential forms of compensation available; for instance, victims might recover damages for pain and suffering, disability and more.

Speak with Jason R. Schultz if your child suffered a spinal cord injury as a result of another’s negligent actions. Call us at 404-474-0804 or use our online contact form to set up a consultation.

Jason R. Schultz
Connect with me
Jason R. Schultz is a Peachtree City Personal Injury Attorney Serving the Greater Atlanta Metro Area