Treating Child PTSD after a Traumatic Accident

When children develop post-traumatic stress disorder (PTSD) after a serious accident, it’s vital to get treatment to help your child heal and work to overcome the symptoms. Fortunately, there are effective options for treating child PTSD to help your child regain his or her sense of happiness and function normally again. 

Treating PTSD in Children

“The goal of intervention is to enable the patient to re-establish psychological equilibrium and return to pre-accident functioning, if possible,” explains a 1999 report in the Journal American Family Physician. Below are some treatments mental health care professionals may recommend for children with PTSD.

  • Cognitive-behavioral therapy: With this type of therapy, your child may learn to adopt new, healthy thoughts to replace negative thoughts.
  • Play therapy: This therapy includes using toys and games to help children express their feelings.
  • Eye movement desensitization and reprocessing (EMDR): This therapy is led by an EMDR specialist who will guide your child through eye exercises while recalling the event, which aims to help your child better cope with the accident.
  • Exposure therapy: This therapy includes exposure to the fears or stressors (such as dogs in dog attack victims), and learning new ways to relax and cope.
  • Medication: In some cases, medication for depression, anxiety, and other symptoms of PTSD may be prescribed.

In addition to seeing the family doctor and general mental health care provider, your child may also benefit from working with a psychologist, clinical social worker, counselor, licensed trauma professional, and/or bereavement specialist.

Treatment can be costly and become burdensome, but if you are filing an injury claim, you can include these expenses (as well as your child’s pain and suffering) on the claim for reimbursement. If you’re unsure if your child’s accident qualifies for a settlement, you can discuss your case with a local child injury attorney.

Free Consultation with an Accident Claims Attorney

To discuss financial restitution options for your child’s physical and emotional injuries after an accident, contact the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz. Call us today for a free consultation at 404-474-0804.

Be the first to comment!
Post a Comment