Riding around on a moped can be great fun but it is important to make sure you understand Georgia’s definition of mopeds and other alternative vehicles so that you can ensure you are abiding by the legal requirements of ownership.

For example, some vehicles require registration, while others do not. The state requires drivers register most common vehicles, such as cars and trucks, travel trailers, mopeds, motorcycles, and campers. However, many special vehicles, including some of those discussed below, are exempt from registration. Accident reporting requirements may differ by vehicle, as well. Also, drivers are prohibited from operating many types of special vehicles on regular roadways; they must stay off-road or on designated multi-use pathways.

Make sure you know the laws for mopeds or other vehicles. Below we briefly review some of the alternative vehicles that have special rules in Georgia. If you are unsure of how Georgia defines your vehicle or need more information about which rules pertain to it, contact the Georgia Department of Driver Services or a local special vehicles accident attorney.

What are some types of vehicles that Georgia considers alternative?

Drivers can find definitions of special vehicles in O.C.G.A. 40-1-1. Below are some of the types of vehicles that the state classifies as alternative and that may have distinct rules that differ from traditional vehicles.

  • All-terrain vehicles: Any motorized vehicle designed for off-road use that is equipped with three or more low-pressure tires, a seat designed for straddling by the operator, and handlebars for steering control.
  • Bicycles
  • Electric-assisted bicycles
  • Electric personal assistive mobility devices
  • Moped: a motorized cycle with two or three wheels that incapable of exceeding speeds of 30 miles per hour.
  • Motorized carts, aka personal transportation vehicles: every motor vehicle having no less than three wheels and an unladen weight of 1,300 pounds or less and which cannot operate at more than 20 miles per hour, e.g. golf carts.
  • Special mobile equipment: any vehicle not designed or used primarily for the transportation of persons or property and only incidentally operated or moved over a highway, which includes vehicles such as ditch-diggers, earth-movers, motor graders, tractors, and other road construction and maintenance machinery.)

Can I file a claim after an accident involving an alternative vehicle?

Accident reporting requirements and compensability after an accident involving a special vehicle differ depending on vehicle type, type of insurance carried, whether or not there were injuries or fatalities, and the extent of the property damage.

If you were recently in an accident, call the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz and request a free case evaluation. We can explain your rights and responsibilities and may be able to help you pursue a settlement for your damages. Contact us today at 404-474-0804.