When to Get Medical Attention for a Dog Bite

In most cases, you should seek professional medical care for a dog bite, for these reasons:

  • To determine if you need to take steps for rabies prevention
  • To avoid infection
  • To minimize scarring and disfigurement
  • To document when the injury happened and the circumstances of the dog bite, in the event you decide to pursue legal action

Even if your own dog bit you and you know the animal was current on rabies shots, you should seek medical attention if:

  • It is a deep puncture wound.
  • You are not sure how severe the injury is.
  • You have a lot of bleeding.
  • The skin is badly torn or crushed.
  • The wound is in a conspicuous location that could cause disfigurement.

Warning Signs of Infection of an Animal Bite

If your dog bite injury is red, swollen, oozing, or painful, get medical attention without delay. These symptoms are signs of infection that could develop quickly into a medical crisis.

Compensation for a Dog Bite

If someone else’s dog bit you, you might have a claim and recover compensation for a dog bite. Talk to a lawyer right away. You might be eligible for damages that can include your:

  • Medical bills
  • Lost income
  • Pain and suffering
  • Disfigurement

When Treatment for a Dog Bite Can Be Medical Malpractice

Although emergency rooms have protocols for the treatment of dog bites, sometimes doctors and nurses make mistakes. You might have a claim for medical malpractice if the medical professional:

  • Failed to give rabies shots when appropriate
  • Failed to administer a tetanus shot
  • Did not clean or dress the wound correctly, and you developed an infection
  • Failed to refer you to a plastic surgeon when appropriate, to prevent excessive scarring and disfigurement

How to Get Legal Help for a Dog Bite

At the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, PC, we help people who suffer harm from the negligence of others. If someone else’s dog bit you or you think your medical treatment was flawed, we can help you explore whether you might have a claim for compensation.

If you call us at 404-474-0804, we will set up your free consultation and case evaluation. There is no obligation, and we never charge legal fees until you get paid for your damages.
Jason R. Schultz
Helping Georgia area residents with car accident, medical malpractice, and personal injury claims since 1991.