If you regularly walk around downtown Atlanta, you're already familiar with the high traffic volume and hazardous driving conditions. Smart Growth America (SGA) ranks Atlanta the eighth most dangerous large metro area in the U.S. for pedestrians.
SGA states there were 839 reported pedestrian deaths from 2003 to 2012. In fact, a recent poll by StreetsBlogUSA named Atlanta's Pleasantdale Road one of the least crossable roads in the nation. The poll notes that it was nearly a mile before pedestrians coming from the nearby MARTA station could use a crosswalk to reach the apartments across the street.
Several other Georgia roads have made lists of dangerous roads for pedestrians and dangerous intersections. The Atlanta Journal-Constitution used data from the Georgia Department of Transportation to research the 10 roads in the state where the most pedestrian accidents occurred from 2003 to the present.
Most are located in Fulton or Dekalb County, home to the city of Atlanta.
- Fulton County: Peachtree Street (178 crashes)
- Dekalb County: Buford Highway (154 crashes)
- Fulton County: Roswell Road (129 crashes)
- Fulton County: Peachtree Road (123 crashes)
- Fulton County: Martin L. King Jr. Drive (104 crashes)
- Dekalb County: Memorial Drive (92 crashes)
- Dekalb County: Covington Highway (84 crashes)
- Fulton County: North Avenue (83 crashes)
- Clayton County: State Road 3 (81 crashes)
- Fulton County: Old National Highway (77 crashes)
Atlanta's North Metro Traffic School hears plenty of tales from drivers bemoaning intersections around the city. They compiled a list of their top eight worst intersections in the city.
- Bolton Road and Marietta Road
- Collier Road at Peachtree Road
- 14th Street and Peachtree Road
- Delmar Avenue and Delmar Court
- Howell Mill Road and Chattahoochee Road
- North Druid Hills Road and Briarcliff Road
- Piedmont Road at Peachtree Road
- Habersham Road at West Paces Ferry Road
Call a Pedestrian Accident Attorney if Injured In Fulton County
Even with our public transportation systems, Atlantans still need to walk from bus and MARTA terminals to their destinations. If a car strikes you – or if a family member is in a fatal pedestrian accident – the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. is ready to help with your pedestrian injury claim. Contact our office today at 404-474-0804 or contact us online.