Understanding the steps of the claims process is extremely important if you want to protect your rights; for this reason, working with an attorney is strongly advised. An attorney can help you determine the value of your personal injury claim, file the proper paperwork and even negotiate with the insurance companies on your behalf.
After the Accident
Laying the groundwork for a successful Georgia personal injury claim begins right after your accident. Immediately after your accident, you should follow these steps:
- Contact the police to investigate the accident and to create a police report.
- Call an ambulance to provide medical attention to injured parties.
- Collect the contact information of any eyewitnesses who saw the accident occur.
- Photograph the scene of the accident from different angles.
- Write down your notes regarding the events that led to the accident.
In addition, you should begin documenting your injuries to back up your claim. Keep a journal to keep track all of your medical appointments, the cost of your treatment and the amount of time that you had to take off from work. You should take pictures of your visible injuries and write down your pain level on a regular basis.
Most personal injury settlements are based on the severity of your injuries as well as your medical expenses and lost income. To ensure you receive the maximum amount of compensation, you should keep track of your financial losses.
Continue to Next Page >>