Common Types of Fatal Truck Accidents in Georgia (Part B)
Claiming Damages After a Fatal Truck Accident in Georgia
To claim damages after a fatal truck accident in Georgia, you may first try to reach a settlement by negotiating with the negligent party. If a settlement cannot be reached, you may choose to pursue damages in a formal court of law. In this case, you will have to file a complaint with a court to initiate a wrongful death lawsuit.
In a wrongful death lawsuit involving a fatal truck accident in Georgia, parties that you may claim damages against include:
- the truck driver;
- the trucking or shipping company;
- the company's safety director;
- the vehicle inspector; and
- the truck's manufacturer.
An investigation of the accident should reveal which party was responsible. If more than one party is determined to be responsible for a fatal truck accident in Georgia, you may claim compensation from each of the negligent parties. In this type of lawsuit, an Atlanta wrongful death lawyer can represent your legal interests.
In a wrongful death lawsuit, your Atlanta wrongful death lawyer will have to show that:
- your loved one was owed a duty of care at the time of the truck accident in Georgia;
- the defendant failed to uphold that duty by acting negligently;
- the negligent act was the cause your loved one's death;
- you have suffered damages as a result of the accident; and
- there is a value that can be attributed to those damages.
To prove those elements of negligence in court, your Atlanta wrongful death lawyer can present evidence that pertains to your case, interview witnesses and submit expert testimony.
Contacting an Atlanta Wrongful Death Lawyer
A fatal truck accident in Georgia can leave your family in a distressing situation. As a Georgia accident victim's survivor, you have rights that the insurance companies cannot ignore. While they have a team of lawyers working on their side, shouldn't you have experienced legal representation fighting for your best interests? Before accepting any settlement offer, contact the Law Offices of Jason Schultz to schedule a no-cost consultation on your case - 404-474-0804.