The information stored in the black box includes:
- average speed and highest speed;
- amount of time driven;
- driving time spent at 65 miles per hour or more;
- average revolutions per minute (RPMs);
- seat belt usage;
- air bag performance; and
- idling time.
ECMs: A Valuable Truck Accident Claim Tool
Even though the ECM was set up to monitor unfounded engine warranty claims, accident victims and Coweta County personal injury attorneys now use it to prove a truck’s liability in a collision. Not only is it effective in showing a truck’s various operations, but it also can be compared to a trucker’s personal log to see if driving time exceeded the ECM’s statistics.
In order for the ECM to help a victim in a truck accident claim, there are a number of factors that need to be addressed.
Time is of the essence when it comes to obtaining ECM data. Your Coweta County personal injury attorney must make securing the truck’s black box a top priority so that they can check for a variety of things.
- Recording time – the ECM box typically records a truck’s data for 30 days, after which it will record over and erase previous information. That’s why it is imperative for lawyers to attain the ECM as soon as possible during a truck accident claim.
- Data destruction –It’s common for the black box to be destroyed after an accident. A restraining order is necessary to save the ECM's data.
- Safeguarding additional data – some trucks have a black box and cab electronic modules. Information such as hours of service, maintenance and vehicle performance should not be overlooked in a truck accident claim.
Contact a Coweta County Injury Attorney for Your Truck Accident Claim
The Law Offices of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. is always available to help you understand and apply the law to your personal injury claim. We even offer a free book, The Ultimate Guide to Accident Cases in Georgia: The Truth about your Injury Case. If you or a loved one needs to file a truck accident claim, contact the tractor-trailer/truck accidents team at Jason R. Schultz, P.C.