Q: How do I choose a personal injury lawyer?
Not everyone knows how to choose a personal injury lawyer. When considering prospective lawyers, make sure you ask about experience, testimonials, memberships, and the firm’s communication policy.
What should I ask a potential lawyer about his experience?
When you are vetting several attorneys, ask each one how long he has been practicing law, and in particular, personal injury law. How many cases has he handled, and what were the verdicts and settlements in those cases? Do not be afraid to ask for the dollar amounts from typical cases he has handled.
Ask the lawyer for any reviews and testimonials his clients have left him. If he seems hesitant to produce those testimonials, consider moving on to the next lawyer on your list.
What are important traits to look for in a personal injury attorney?
You want a lawyer you can work with comfortably. You are going through a stressful time, and you do not need additional tension from your attorney’s office. When dealing with a personal injury lawyer, ask yourself these questions:
- Does the firm treat me with courtesy and respect?
- Does my legal team seem to care about me and the outcome of my case?
- Are they honest with me?
- Do I have a voice in how the legal team handles my case?
- Is my overall feeling toward my lawyer’s office positive?
- Does my lawyer explain things without talking down to me or talking over my head?
- Does the representation agreement or fee agreement clearly lay out the entire financial arrangement, including litigation expenses and how much compensation my lawyer will receive?
What is the firm’s communication policy?
Lawyers are very busy; however, that does not mean that your lawyer should leave you hanging for days at a time.
Before you sign on with a lawyer, ask what the firm’s communication policy is. Consider asking the following:
- Will you receive updates each week or only if something happens in your case?
- How long will it take for the lawyer to get back to you?
- Will you be in touch with the lawyer directly or with a paralegal?
- Is it best to contact the firm through email or over the phone?
You want a lawyer who makes you feel comfortable. You should be able to sit down with your lawyer and ask any question about your case. It is better to ask a question than to worry about things. Communication is necessary for the attorney-client relationship to work best. We welcome your questions and any input you may have about your personal injury claim.
Are there other benchmarks of a good personal injury lawyer?
Yes. A highly qualified personal injury lawyer often has these accomplishments:
- Teaches legal education courses to other lawyers
- Is a member of Georgia Super Lawyers
- Is rated by the AV Peer Review Rating of Martindale-Hubbell (an information service that provides detailed information and ratings on attorneys)
- Is a member of the Georgia Trial Lawyers Association
- Is a member of the American Association for Justice
- Has published books and articles for the legal profession and the general public
Are there online resources for finding a personal injury lawyer?
Yes. In addition to directories like Martindale-Hubbell and associations like Georgia Super Lawyers, there are other helpful online resources for finding a personal injury lawyer:
- The Atlanta Bar Association has a lawyer referral service. The referrals are free, but there can be a fee to meet with an attorney.
- Avvo.com, which is totally free to use, provides detailed information and ratings on attorneys.
- Findlaw.com posts details on the education and accomplishments of lawyers. FindLaw does not charge the public to access this data.
Armed with all the information in this FAQ, you should now be better prepared to find and choose the right lawyer to handle your personal injury case. But do not stop reading yet. We have one more resource for you.
The Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. will send you our eBook, The Ultimate Guide to Injury Cases in Georgia – The Truth about Your Injury Case, for FREE. Our guide is an easy read that will help you understand the claims process and will warn you about pitfalls to avoid.
Schedule a free consultation with Jason R. Schultz today.
If another party’s negligence caused your injuries in Georgia, do not delay. There are time limits for bringing claims for personal injury claims. The compassionate personal injury team at the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. is standing by to speak with you. Contact us at any time. You can either live chat with our team or call us at 404-474-0804 to set up your free consultation.