Which vehicles require a CDL to operate?

Operators of a single tractor-trailer that transports 16 people or more or one that weighs more than 26,000 pounds must hold a CDL. Any combination vehicle that weighs more than 26,000 also requires the license.

There are also special requirements for truckers transporting hazardous material (hazmat). In addition to a CDL, background checks on the driver must be conducted (checking for felony convictions and mental incompetency) and the driver’s fingerprints must be taken. A disqualification from hazmat endorsement doesn’t necessarily mean the driver will lose his or her CDL or be unable to transport nonhazardous materials.

However, a disqualification may apply for major offenses while operating a truck with or without hazardous materials. For instance, driving under the influence or leaving the scene of a crash could lead to disqualification.

Speak To Our Truck Accident Lawyers Today

There is a lot of responsibility placed on drivers who operate semis. But employers bear a great deal of it as well when it comes to ensuring their drivers meet truck training requirements. Allowing an individual who isn’t properly trained or licensed to operate the commercial vehicle could lead to the trucking company being liable if it causes injuries to someone else. 

Talk to an attorney at the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, PC to get started with your injury case.

Jason R. Schultz
Helping Georgia area residents with car accident, medical malpractice, and personal injury claims since 1991.
Post A Comment