Is there such a thing as nurse malpractice?

Nurses are like any medical professional in that they require special education, training, and certification to care for patients. Also like any medical professional, they are trusted to do no harm and care for patients to the best of their abilities and ensure that you do not leave more sick than you came in, such as with cases of hospital-acquired infections. Unfortunately, nurses are capable of acts of negligence just like doctors and surgeons and can be liable for malpractice.

Malpractice by a Nurse: What to Look For

If a nurse's conduct results in harm to a patient, he or she could be held liable for medical malpractice damages in a lawsuit. 

Such misconduct can include but is not limited to the following.

• Failure to report changes in patient's condition
• Improper administration of medication
• Not washing hands or wearing gloves between patients
• Re-using instruments and equipment without proper sterilization
• Neglecting to check patient records for correct identity and any allergies

Before you accuse a nurse of medical malpractice, it's important to seek first treatment for your injuries and begin the process of recovery. Once you are correcting the errors, talk to a Peachtree City medical malpractice attorney for guidance in preparing and bringing a lawsuit against a negligent nurse.

A Peachtree City Medical Malpractice Attorney Can File Your Lawsuit

Filing a lawsuit alone is highly advised against, especially when suing a nurse in a large hospital network. Hospitals typically have permanent legal teams to handle these situations and will fight vigorously to absolve their staff of any wrongdoing or liability.

To even the playing field, you'll need an attorney who knows how to handle medical malpractice cases against nurses. The Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. is here for patients who have suffered harm at the hands of a negligent or untrained nurse while seeking medical care. Contact our office to schedule a FREE consultation to discuss your options for legal action and recovery of damages. 404-474-0804.