Go to navigation Go to content
Phone: (404) 474-0804
Jason R. Schultz P.C

Georgia Motorcycle License Laws: Class MP and Class M Licenses

Blog Category:
Comments (0)

Georgia motorcycle license laws require you have a Class MP learner’s permit or a Class M license in order to legally operate a motorcycle or motor-driven cycle on the road. The Georgia Department of Driver Services (DDS) explains: “Every motor vehicle having a saddle for the use of the rider and designed to travel on not more than three wheels in contact with the ground” are considered motor-driven cycles and require one of the aforementioned licenses.

The only two types of motor-driver cycles or vehicles that do not require a Class M or Class MP are tractors and mopeds with engines 50 cc or smaller.

Class MP & Class M Motorcycle Licenses

A Class M license allows you to operate a motorcycle without the restrictions that Class MPs have. To obtain a Class M license, you can go to the Peachtree City DDS Customer Service Center and apply.

You’ll need to pass a vision and written exam and bring the following with you.

  • Proof of identity
  • Your Class MP (if you have one)
  • Your attendance records or high school diploma (if under 18)
  • Your certificate of completion from a Basic Riders Course (if you have one)
  • Money for license fee ($20 for a five-year license or $32 for eight-year license)

If you are 16, you may apply for a Class MP learner’s permit. You have to hold your permit for six months, and then you can return to the DDS to take a road test. To obtain a Class MP, you must submit all the above items listed for a Class M, as well as a certificate of completion from an ADAP or eADAP course and proof of completion of a certified Georgia Driver Training/Driver Education Course. The fee for a permit is $10.

Note that the DDS places a few basic restrictions on Class MP permit holders in order to help them become acquainted with their responsibility to ride safely.

Below are the learner’s permit restrictions.

  • Can’t ride at night.
  • Can’t have any passengers.
  • Can’t ride on limited access roadways.

Peachtree City Motorcycle Blog

For more information of interest to Georgia motorcyclists, check out our blog. Meanwhile, if you are ever in an accident, you can call Jason R. Schultz at 404-474-0804.

Category: General

There are no comments.

Post a comment

Post a Comment to "Peachtree City Motorcycle License Laws: Class MP and M"

To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."


Email:* (will not be published)


Notify me of follow-up comments via email.

Live Chat