The Dangers of Slip and Falls amongst Older Adults
Falls are the leading cause of fatal and non-fatal injury among elderly adults, according to the Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC). If you have a loved one over the age of 65, know that one in three older adults falls every year. Review some of the dangers of slip and falls.
Overview of the Dangers of Slip and Falls Accidents
The CDC gives a clear picture of the dangers fall accidents on the older population. The agency, citing previous research, provides five primary outcomes linked to falls, listed below.
- Independence: Fall accidents have the potential to cause injuries that inhibit an older adult from continuing to live independently, or increase the risk of early death. In fact, up to 30 percent of older adults who fall sustain moderate to severe injuries. A hip injury, for instance, can cause permanent disability and force a victim into long-term care.
- Brain injury: Falls are the number one cause of traumatic brain injuries (TBIs).
- Fatality: Over 21,000 older adults die each year in fall accidents. Nearly half of fatal falls among older adults were attributed to TBIs.
- Fractures: Fractures, such as back, hip, leg, and hand fractures, are quite common in fall accidents among the elderly. In fact, most older adults fracture injuries are the result of falls.
- Downward spiral: Older adults who have a falling accident tend to develop a fear of falling, which causes them to limit their activities. Lack of mobility reduces their physical fitness level, which increases their risk of falling.
Legal Options after a Fall Accident in Peachtree City
The dangers of slips and falls are plenty for older adults, but fortunately, many falls can be prevented by taking simple safety precautions.
But if you or your loved one was injured in a slip and fall accident in Peachtree City, call the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz for a consultation. We can review your case and determine if there are any viable legal actions you can take to collect compensation. Contact us at 404-474-0804 for a free, no-obligation case
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "Dangers of Slip and Falls amongst Older Adults in Peachtree City"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."