Options for Compensation after a Hit and Run Motorcycle Accident

There are few things scarier or more frustrating than a hit and run accident on a motorcycle. Motorcycle accidents are often more serious than the typical car accident, and when the driver flees the scene, you could be left paying thousands out-of-pocket. But do not give up hope yet; you may have a few options for recovering compensation after a hit and run motorcycle accident.

What are my options?

If the driver who struck you left the scene, you have three main options for recovering some compensation for your injuries:

Medical Payments Insurance

Medical payments (Med Pay) insurance is an optional policy Georgia residents can add to their insurance. Because Med Pay does not consider fault, it is a good option if you are involved in a collision with a hit and run driver.

Motorcycle Med Pay insurance can help pay certain out of pocket expenses. These can include:

  • Medical bills
  • Dental bills related to the accident
  • Deductibles and co-pays from your health insurance
  • Medications
  • Home health care

Remember that Med Pay is optional. If you did not already purchase it, it will not help you. Check your policy to determine your coverage.

Uninsured/Underinsured Motorist Coverage

If you have uninsured/underinsured (UM/UIM) motorist coverage on your motorcycle insurance policy, it can help to pay some of the damages if a hit and run driver struck you. While UM/UIM is for use when a driver does not have insurance, your insurer will simply consider the hit and run driver uninsured.

While the minimum amount of uninsured/underinsured motorist coverage will likely not cover all your medical expenses in the event of catastrophic injuries, it will certainly help.

As with Med Pay, this coverage is optional. Check your policy to see whether you have it.

Note: Your insurer will likely require a police report to cover your injuries through your UM policy.

Health Insurance

Your own health insurance might cover at least some of your medical expenses from your hit and run motorcycle accident. Be aware of the fact that some health insurance policies specifically exclude coverage for motor vehicle accidents.

Insurance companies justify this by saying that auto insurance policies should be the ones covering your medical bills from motor vehicle accidents.

Expect to have a battle getting your health insurance company to help with your medical bills from your hit and run motorcycle accident.

What if officers find the other driver?

In some cases, victims are lucky and officers are able to find the driver. If this is the case, you can file a claim against that person’s insurance. This can be complicated as drivers flee the scene in many cases due to a lack of insurance. We can examine your case and the other driver’s insurance policy to determine your best option(s) for recovering compensation.

Recovering compensation from your insurer or the other driver’s insurer can be difficult. Jason R. Schultz has gone to battle against insurance companies and will do the same for you.

If you have injured in a hit and run motorcycle accident, you need advice from a practiced motorcycle accident lawyer. Call the Law Office of Jason R. Schultz, P.C. today at 404-474-0804 to schedule your free consultation.