9 Types of Hazardous Cargo
Trucks carrying hazardous materials (HAZMAT) have specific regulations and protocols by which they must abide in order to ensure public safety.
Types of Hazardous Cargo
The federal government categorizes hazardous materials into nine categories.
- Class 1: Explosives (dynamite, fireworks, ammunition, explosive devices).
- Class 2: Gases (propane, helium).
- Class 3: Flammable liquid and combustible liquid (gasoline).
- Class 4: Flammable solid (white phosphorus, sodium).
- Class 5: Oxidizers and organic peroxide (ammonium nitrate).
- Class 6: Toxic poison and infections substances (potassium cyanide, anthrax).
- Class 7: Radioactive materials (uranium).
- Class 8: Corrosive materials (battery fluid).
- and, Class 9: Miscellaneous materials that don’t fit the above categories.
Characteristics of HAZMAT Cargo
Materials are considered hazardous if they contain certain characteristics. The Environmental Protection Agency defines four properties of hazardous waste.
- level of corrosiveness – this includes acids or bases that are capable of corroding metal containers.
- reactivity – these types of materials are unstable under normal conditions. For instance, they can cause explosions or release harmful fumes.
- toxicity – toxic materials are those which are harmful when ingested or absorbed.
- and, ignitability – these types of materials can create fires or are spontaneously combustible.
HAZMAT Truck Accidents
When trucks carrying various types of hazardous cargo are involved in an accident, the results can be catastrophic. Explosions, dangerous chemical leakage, and fires are not uncommon. In many HAZMAT truck accidents, negligence or carelessness is the underlying cause. In these instances, victims have the right to pursue a claim or lawsuit against any negligent parties to recover damages.
If you or someone you love was injured in a HAZMAT accident in Atlanta, call the Law Offices of Jason Schultz for a free consultation. Contact our firm today to review your legal options and determine what types of financial restitution to which you may be entitled: 404-474-0804.
Post a comment
Post a Comment to "9 Types of Hazardous Cargo Atlanta Drivers Should Know"To reply to this message, enter your reply in the box labeled "Message", hit "Post Message."